Event type: Special days or anniversaries
Start date: 08 March 2022 | Start time: 10:00 UTC -05:00
End date: 08 March 2022 | End time: 11:30 UTC -05:00
Location: Virtual, UN WebTV
The United Nations observance of International Women’s Day will be held virtually on 8 March, 10–11.30am UTC–5.
The theme for this year’s observance is “Gender equality today for a sustainable tomorrow”.
The year 2022 is pivotal for achieving gender equality in the context of climate change, and environmental and disaster risk reduction, which are some of the greatest global challenges of the twenty-first century. Without gender equality today, a sustainable future, and an equal future, remains beyond our reach.
This year’s IWD observance is in recognition and celebration of the women and girls who are leading the charge on climate change adaptation and response, and to honour their leadership and contribution towards a sustainable future.
- H.E. Mr. António Guterres, Secretary-General of the United Nations
- H.E. Mr. Abdulla Shahid, President of the 76th General Assembly of the United Nations
- H.E. Ms. Aminath Shauna, Minister of Environment, Climate Change and Technology, Republic of Maldives
- H.E. Ms. Amina J. Mohammed, Deputy Secretary-General of the United Nations
- H.E. Ms. Mathu Joyini, Chair of the 66th Commission on the Status of Women
- Sima Bahous, Executive Director of UN Women
- Jane Goodall, DBE, Founder of Jane Goodall Institute and UN Messenger of Peace
- Hindou Oumarou Ibrahim, President, Association for Indigenous Women and Peoples of Chad
- Katharine Wilkinson, author and environmentalist, Leader of The All We Can Save Project
- Maria Reyes, climate justice activist, Fridays for Future Most Affected Peoples and Areas
Musical performances by:
- Angelica Hale and Broadway Singers
- Mahlatse Lesiba Ramoroka, UN Women Host
- Kabelo Botlhe Dikobe, UN Women Panel Moderator
The colour for International Women’s Day is GREEN.
Join the event on UN Web TV.
Sponsored by: UN Women Headquarters